Contemporary Photographic Practices
Foundation Degree (FdA)
Get creative and experiment with your digital and analogue skills on this Foundation Degree in Contemporary Photographic Practices, as you explore the variety of contexts and wide-ranging nature of photography today.
• Learn the technical skills of photography, including digital image production and manipulation, whilst exploring images from fashion to street style, from advertising campaigns to designer look-books, and from fanzine to glossy magazine.
• Combine theory and research with practice work to get a rounded view of photography and its place in culture.
• And complete live briefs to develop real world skills, work with potential employers, and equip yourself for a successful future career in this industry.
- Fielden Park Campus
- Full Time
- 2 years
- September 2019
Academic Entry requirements
• GCSE English Language and Mathematics A* to C or 9 to 4 where numeric grades are being awarded
• 64 UCAS Tariff Points
• Students that have passed a recognised Access programme will also be considered
Non-academic entry Requirements
Your suitability for Foundation Degree study may be assessed by interview.
What will I be studying?
Year 1: Landscape and Environment (30 credits)
Develop your practical abilities using a range of techniques and processes on location, drawing on research of historical and contemporary practitioners.
Year 1: Photographic Practices (30 credits)
Build your skills in equipment and processes to confidently explore developing concep
Year 1: Portrait, Identity and Narration (30 credits)
Explore how photography can be used to identify and represent both individuals and groups, and examine the way in which the photograph is used to implicate identity through the portraiture and representation of individuals or group
Year 1: Professional and Academic Development (30 credits)
Develop and re-enforce your critical, analytical, academic and linguistic skills, as you prepare for future graduate level study and potential, professional careers.
Bright, S. (2011) Art Photography Now
Goldin, N., Heiferman, M. (2012) The Ballad of Sexual Dependency
Kobre, K. and Gangelhoff, B. (2008) Photojournalism: The Professionals' Approach
Jaeger, A.-C. (2010) Image Makers, Image Takers : The Essential Guide to Photography by Those in the Know
How will I be assessed?
What are the careers that this will lead to?
Fees, Finance and Funding
Your tuition fees for each year of your course.
Help with your living costs e.g. rent, food, clothing, course materials, entertainment.
You can find more details, including the actual tuition fee charged on our Fees, Funding and Finance Page:
Course Associated Costs
Equipment list: £150-£200
Printing: 1st yr £150 - 2nd yr £250
Optional Software: Creative Cloud £16 p/m (equipped on all campus Macs)
Optional trip: £300+