With computers keeping vast amounts of strategic data, and network security so vital for businesses of all sizes, this BSc (Hons) Network Security with Penetration Testing (Top-Up) will give you the qualifications and expertise to meet the high demand for network experts in small and medium sized enterprises.
• Learn how to hack a system ethically and exposes weaknesses in security as a penetration tester.
• Improve the front line defence of networks as an information risk analyst.
• And protect data from unauthorised access and violations by implementing firewalls encryption, monitoring and auditing systems as an information manager.
You’ll complete 120 credits for the honours degree in Network Security with Penetration Testing, including a 60-credit specialist project. Taking what you’ve previously learnt and developing your ideas and materials in a critical, analytical way, this will demonstrate your ability to undertake a substantial piece of work, showcase your knowledge and professional skills, and help you advance onto postgraduate study or a rewarding career.
- Openshaw Campus
- Full Time
- 1 year
- September 2019
Academic Entry requirements
• Foundation Degree in Computer Network Management
• Foundation Degree in Computer System Support
• Foundation Degree in Computer Network Security with Ethical Hacking
Non-academic entry Requirements
Mature applicants (aged 21 or over) who are able to demonstrate relevant skills or knowledge gained in employment or vocational activity will be considered and may be invited to interview.
Consideration will be given if you have significant industrial or academic experience but have no formal qualifications
What will I be studying?
Year 1: Infrastructure Security Strategy (30 credits)
Build your knowledge, understanding and practical experience of managing secure communication across a large-scale internetwork using industry standard equipme
Year 1: Negotiated Research (60 credits)
Develop both your general and discipline specific knowledge and skills through this extended research activity, discussing your plans with tutors, completing a Literature Review in your chosen area, formulating a research proposal with research question/s, and carrying out the research as propose
Year 1: Penetration Testing (30 credits)
Explore the theoretical aspects of vulnerabilities and how they can be exploited, including unchecked input, buffer overflows and shellcode, viruses, worms and Trojans, design and implementation flaws, misconfiguration, firewall avoidance, packet crafting and address spoofing.
Engebretson, P. (2011) The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy
Kim, P. (2014) The Hacker Playbook: Practical Guide to Penetration Testing
Murdoch, D. (2014) Blue Team Handbook: Incident Response Edition: A Condensed Field Guide for the Cyber Security Incident Responder.
Wilhelm, T. (2009) Professional Penetration Testing
How will I be assessed?
• Proposal presentation
• Literature review
• Poster presentation
• Written report
• Hands on skills assessment
50% seminar/lecture 50% self-directed learning
What are the careers that this will lead to?
• Penetration testers or ethical hackers, who carry out tests on a system to expose weaknesses in security.
• Information security/risk/incident analysts or managers who support the front line defence of networks, protecting information from unauthorised access and violations.
• Computer forensics analysts or investigators who work in cyber crime, a growing phenomenon.
Starting salaries for graduates are usually around £30,000 to £35,000 per annum. With a years' experience, you can command up to £35,000. After 5 years, and working in more senior roles, you can expect to earn in the region of £40,000 to £80,000.
Fees, Finance and Funding
Your tuition fees for each year of your course.
Help with your living costs e.g. rent, food, clothing, course materials, entertainment.
You can find more details, including the actual tuition fee charged on our Fees, Funding and Finance Page.
You can also find details of part time and international fees.
Course Associated Costs
Materials are provided online and assignments are submitted electronically. However, you might also wish to print other documents.
Campus printing costs start from 5p per page.
Latest NewsView all
UCEN Manchester has now been part of the prestigious Cisco Networking Academy for two decades