Study with us
Cisco Networking Academy
Cisco is a world leader in IT and networking. The organisation helps companies of all sizes transform how people connect, communicate and collaborate.
In 1999 UCEN Manchester became a Cisco Academy and soon developed into one of the top academies in the North West of England. Since 2012 our status has changed again and we're now one of the few ASC (Academy Support Centre) and ITC (Instructor Training Centre) Cisco Academies in the country.
We first started teaching the world renowned networking course Cisco CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate), later offering a large range of Cisco programmes such as IT Essentials using the materials to gain professional qualifications in CompTIA A+ Essentials. Other areas covered include Cisco CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) and more recently:
- Passport21 to Entrepreneurship
- CCNAS Cisco Certified Network Associate in Security
- Cisco Intro to Cloud Computing
- Cisco Internet to Everything
- Cisco Entrepreneurship
- Cisco Cybersecurity
We teach these programmes in a number of ways to prepare students for a flexible future. ICT skills enhance every pathway to success, whether a student is planning a technology career, pursuing another field, or starting a business. Academy courses effectively inspire students because they are:
- Innovative - instruction engages today’s learning styles, combining lectures, hands-on laboratories, simulations, games and online assessments
- Relevant - projects reflect real-world situations, letting students practice critical thinking, collaborating for results, and presenting ideas clearly
- Career-focused - extracurricular events and online communities encourage student involvement and provide career development
- Consistent - instructors are trained and receive ongoing professional development to ensure consistency of delivery and teaching excellence
- Accredited and aligned - courses prepare students for ANSI-accredited certifications, and align with STEM Career Clusters, Common Core, Next Generation Science, and 21st Century Skills
- Current - lessons and laboratories are developed and updated by subject-matter experts who work directly with evolving equipment and concepts
Our teaching approach has been student led with instructor interaction and the majority of the programmes have been built into our Foundation Degree’s, Bachelor Degree’s and Corporate Training over a number of years.
Employability event at Cisco
UCEN Manchester took two groups of students to visit Cisco’s head office in Manchester to gain a greater understanding of what it takes to attain a role with a market leading company. The aim was to help provide them with the skills and knowledge they will require if they wish to go on to further study or gain employment.
Students were accompanied throughout the half day meeting by numerous members of staff from Cisco, who had taken time out of their working week to discuss CV writing, job interview skills and opportunities within the company.
After completing the skills workshops our students received a tour of the offices and were provided with the opportunity to try some of Cisco’s latest gadgets (which was well received!). They also got the chance to pick the brains of some of Cisco’s longest serving and most experience staff, who were happy to talk about their time with the company and the opportunities they have been provided with (such as the option to travel across the world as part of their job).